Health professionals and experts the world over agree. Nothing can take the place of breast milk. It’ one of the few gifts in life that keeps on giving long after your child has grown. Filled with antibodies and nutrients, breast milk can promote cognitive development, boost immunity and aid digestion. Another significant bonus is that breastfeeding helps a mother to burn calories more quickly, reduce their lifetime risk of breast and ovarian cancer as well as postmenopausal osteoporosis.
Those last few months before the baby’s arrival may seem incredibly long, but filling that time with a breastfeeding classes can be a great way to learn what to expect those first few days of your baby’s new life. Armed with information and practice, a majority of potential pitfalls and issues can be easily avoided. The best way to learn about the latest in breastfeeding techniques and breastfeeding product lines is to take a class with a certified licensed lactation consultant.
Learn Breastfeeding from the Experts
Learn about the benefits and differences between formula feeding and breastfeeding, the best positions for child at the breast and the myths and misconceptions many people still have about breastfeeding for the experts. We’re here to help. Besides being interesting and informative, we’ve come up with the five best reasons to take a breastfeeding class.
- Understand the components of your breast milk versus formula. Receive a deeper understanding of how these nutritional elements provide a solid foundation for a child’s healthy life long-term. Did you know studies reveal that children who have been breastfed are less likely to be obese or overweight as adults?
- Learn the emotional benefits of bonding with your baby. Discover the affect skin on skin contact has on a newborn from the moment it enters our world. Breastfeeding provides an opportunity for mother and child to experience a unique bond. Find out the different ways to hold a baby, and how breastfeeding can affect hormones and the ability to cope with stress.
- Receive information about the ins and outs of expressing milk by hand or breast pump, bottle feeding and the specifics about breast pump accessories.
- Find out about proper latching and unlatching techniques. Learn about a baby’s cues and signals that will help you maneuver breastfeeding more smoothly. Come to know those signs a baby gives when they’re hungry or not getting enough milk. Understand how to tell the difference between breast fullness and engorgement, and how to make the most of the milk production process.
- Distinguish myth from reality. Hear a professional dispel the myths you might have heard about breastfeeding. Learn about what foods you can and cannot eat and in the appropriate quantities. Understand how some medications can affect the milk production and your infant. Also learn to recognize what’s normal and not when breastfeeding.
Now that’s just a bit of what’s offered in breastfeeding classes, but there’s so much more to learn. We’re here to provide support, guidance and education. We understand that new moms who receive all the help and support they need from the beginning are more likely to breastfeed longer, which is great for baby.
Need Help with Breastfeeding?
At Newport Children’s Medical Group, we work with certified lactation consultant or professional breastfeeding specialist, who trains and teaches mothers how to breastfeed their babies. Furthermore, lactation consultant help mothers who are experiencing breastfeeding problems, such as latching difficulties, sore or cracked nipples, painful nursing or low milk production. A lactation consultant also helps babies who have difficulty gaining weight.
For more information on Breastfeeding Classes, Prenatal and Postpartum, please contact Newport Children’s Group’s Lactation Consultant, Yolanda B. Fortin, PhD, IBCLC, at 16179703046 or 19498547154 or email her at email@example.com.